The Sierra Club, founded by John Muir in 1982, is one of the oldest, largest, and most influential grassroots environmental organizations in the United States. The Niagara Group is one of eleven local groups in the New York State Atlantic Chapter of the Sierra Club. The Niagara Group represents Sierrans in Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans, and Wyoming counties in Western New York and the Southerntier.
NIAGARA GROUP ACTIVITIES
We’re busy focusing on hydrofracking issues in the region, NYS climate change and energy policy, wetlands protection in WNY and more! Read more on the issues and learn how you can get involved.
Join us on www.facebook.com
Group meetings are held the fourth Tuesday of every month at Daemen College, in room 240 of Dun Scotus Hall. The campus is located at 4380 Main Street in Amherst. Meetings begin at 7 p.m. and are packed with discussion of current environmental issues.
All are welcome, come join us. We look forward to meeting you!
ISSUES AND ACTIVITIES
Our members are involved in many different activities to help protect the environment of our local area, the state, and the planet, including the following:
- We oppose the destructive and toxic horizontal drilling practice for natural gas known as hydrofracking, and chemical waste disposal sites that pollute our environment and drinking supplies.
- We seek to protect and enhance our local wetlands, water bodies, forests, parks and watersheds.
- We lobby our local and state politicians for better environmental laws and policies, and endorse candidates who support the environment.
- We host environmental speakers, Earth Day activities, school energy efficiency presentations, and participate in other events throughout the year to educate the public about environmental issues.
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBERS
- Lynda Schneekloth: Chair
- Pamela Hughes: Vice-Chair, Newsletter Editor
- Larry Snider: Treasurer
- Sara Schulz: Secretary
- Richard Lippes: Legal Advisor
- Angela Knisley: Membership & Volunteer Coordinator
- Larry Beahan: Conservation Chair, Atlantic Chapter Alternate Delegate
- Robert Ciesielski: Atlantic Chapter Delegate, State Energy Chair
- Roger Cook: Political Chair
- Arthur Klein: Atlantic Chapter Delegate-at-large, Conservation Chair
- Ed McGreevy: Niagara County Representative
- Vicky Southall: Education Committee Chair
NON-EXECUTIVE MEMBERS WORKING WITH THE NIAGARA GROUP
- Newsletter Graphic Designer: Gretchen White
- Energy Committee Chair: Diane Ciurczak
- Chapter Toxics Committee Chair: Joe Gardella
- Chapter Wetlands Committee Chair: Liz Kaszubski
- Webmaster: Cara Nassar